In Valais, discovery is also a matter of tasting. The entire region is a magnet for gourmets and epicureans. The reputation of its gastronomy is well established. From the sun-drenched Rhone Valley to the high mountain pastures, Valais boasts a wide selection of local products: asparagus, apricots and other sun-drenched fruits and vegetables are available from local producers. Valaisan wines are available for all festive occasions. Artisanal cured meats, local meat, raclette and other cheese specialties are on display in the region’s restaurants.
After a day of hiking, tasting the specialties of the Valais is an opportunity to meet the producers and to prolong your discovery trip.
In the Val d’Hérens, the cradle of the Hérens breed, meat and salted meats show the quality of the mountain soil and can be found on the tables of the region’s restaurants alongside numerous cheese specialties. In the village shops, in the surrounding farms or in the mountain pastures, cheese lovers will find a fine selection: raclette, tommes, sérac and other dairy products.
Hérémence has preserved its culinary traditions and know-how, and is proud of its membership in the Slow Food Switzerland label. Throughout the year, local events are organized: bread making, cheese tasting, farm visits, meetings with producers, etc. The region of Hérémence is renowned for its exceptional craftsmen: an artisanal cheese factory, a bakery with old-fashioned production, two Bio Suisse certified farms, a butcher’s shop of excellence with the “Fleurs d’Hérens” label.
For those who like to eat well, choose local products and buy locally with our selection of addresses:
- Boucherie Sierro-Favre in Hérémence : the village butcher’s shop favors quality meat from Valais farms and offers IGP dried meat, the “Fleur d’Hérens” label as well as Val des Dix lamb.
- Fromagerie Hérémence : it is in this village dairy that milk is brought every day from neighboring farms to produce excellent cheeses in the respect of tradition, Raclette du Valais from the Dixence, pavé hérémensard, tomme cheese “cowhead” etc…
- La ferme des Devins : farm sales of organic Swiss production (meat, cured meats, fruits, cheeses, etc.)
- La ferme de Champasse : Raclette and tommes are made on the farm from raw cow’s milk and are labeled organic by Bio Suisse.
- Alpage de Mandelon : refreshment stand and sales at the alpage in summer
Savor the local products and get a lot of good addresses by downloading the application of Hérémence with our map “Les adresses du coin”.